Thursday, March 28, 2019

A New Rewatch Series: Galavant

 first became aware of the ABC series Galavant while I lived in Oklahoma and was visiting family in Texas. We did not have television service, but they did and the series was being advertised as an upcoming attraction. The medievalist trappings evident in the advertisement attracted my attention--because I was working on this webspace then, and its related projects--but I thought little else of it until I saw it appear on Netflix. Remembering having thought of it, I added it to my family's queue and promptly forgot about it again, being occupied with much else.
Recently, though, it came to mind again. My wife and I were looking for something to watch with our daughter, something with which we could fill some idle time together and which would not necessarily provoke the kinds of questions we know are coming but do not look forward to being asked yet. And we stumbled upon Galavant again, settled in to watch, and, well...there's a reason I'm moving ahead on a rewatch series now.
Brief as the series is--lasting only two seasons on ABC, though there are some rumors that Netflix will take it up for another--the series will not be the sprawling thing that the Voltron: Legendary Defender rewatch was, nor yet the more focused flagship that the Game of Thrones rewatch has been. But, as a program featuring on prime time broadcast television, Galavant is one that attracted a fair bit of attention, and how it instantiates medievalism needs some attention therefore. I hope to make a fair go of it.
I hope you will begin reading the series here soon.
Joshua Sasse in Galavant (2015)
The promo poster seems fitting.
I'm borrowing it from IMDB for purposes of reporting and commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment