Thursday, March 23, 2023

Author Interview - Day Leitao

Hello and welcome to our latest author interview with YA fantasy author, Day Leitao!

Please tell us a little bit about yourself and your writing.

I'm originally from Brazil and I like to write sci-fi and fantasy. I've written three YA fantasy series.

Who would you say your biggest literary influences are?

I'm not really sure. I grew up reading books in Portuguese. There's a Brazilian author I like very much, called Pedro Bandeira, but I'm not sure it's an influence. For English writing, I like Cassandra Clare and Holly Black. 

How has the history of the middle ages impacted/influenced your work?

I studied Medieval Literature in university and I like it a lot. I enjoyed learning about a different language, the evolution of English and the history of Europe and the United Kingdom. It's so fascinating. Because I studied so much, I feel that I turned away from it when it was time for my writing. I just wanted something fresh and new, but the medieval literature and some of its meaning and influence will always be there, in the background, lurking. 

Do you feel like your writing has been impacted/influenced by Tolkien? If so, in what way(s)?

Yes. I love The Hobbit. I think it's nice that it places value in human relationships and friendships, and although it has a clear evil, it muddies the waters between good and evil with good characters doing things that, let's say, are not so great. 

What do you think the current innovations in your genre(s) are?

I think we want to be as close as possible to characters, and that's a good thing. 

What is something in your genre(s) you'd like to see more of?

There's so much out there already… But I'd love to see more diverse writers being promoted by publishers. 

What is something in your genre(s) you'd like to see less of?

I don't think YA is the right place for titillating, explicit steam. Nothing against it, by the way, but it shouldn't be YA. I'm not saying YA can't have sex or that teens shouldn't read those books, but that, as a category, if books get detailed on what goes on down there, they shouldn't be YA.

Where online can our readers find you and your work?

Dayleitao.com has all the links!

I'm active on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/day_leitao_ya/

Day, thank you so much for joining us today and sharing your thoughts and experiences on Post-Tolkien and Post-Middle Ages influence!

No comments:

Post a Comment