Thursday, June 29, 2023

Author Interview - Jessie Vallee

Hello and welcome to our latest author interview with YA fantasy author, Jessie Vallee!

Please tell us a little bit about yourself and your writing.

I am someone who grew up craving every second outdoors, marveling at the different birds flying by and amazed at howevery wild animal lives its life. At school I was dubbed a 'readaholic' by my peers for always having my nose in a book - even while walking from place to place. I studied Environmental & Wildlife Management in college and when I got a contract job sampling cervids for a neurological disease, I found that I had many extra hours of time on my hands while waiting for new specimens to arrive. I started writing during this time as a feel-good hobby for myself. I combined my love for fantastical stories with my love for wildlife. And I never looked back.  

Who would you say your biggest literary influences are?

I've never had one great big influence. Every story where the young female heroine defies the impossible to follow her morals and defeat the enemy is my inspiration. Every story where the beautifully poetic writing transports me to another realm in hypnotic detail is my sanctum. And every ounce of unique world building I discover feeds my creativity. 

How has the history of the middle ages impacted/influenced your work?

Learning about the middle ages gave me an entirely new appreciation for various weaponry, armor, combat styles, and ways of life that don't rely on modern technology. But more than that, it was the honour that every man and woman held that has impacted my writing the most. Knowing about a time when everything was life and death, yet still, people fought tooth and nail for what they believed in, despite all the challenged they faced. 

Do you feel like your writing has been impacted/influenced by Tolkien? If so, in what way(s)?

Tolkien is one of the authors that I grew up on, and his writing always transports me to another realm like no other. In the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I was introduced to world building like no other, with a complex system of characters and races whose way of life each grossly differs from our own which reflects in the writing. Every paragraph was intricately written from the perspective of a very peculiar species that does not exist in this world - the Hobbit. It challenged me at my young age while drawing me in. 

His book, The Hobbit, on the other hand was based in the same world, but read as a children's fairytale despite its complexity. The words drifted off the page with ease - such a stark contrast to its successor books, in my personal opinion. And I fell in love with it. It made me want to take my time with the story and read it all aloud in a hushed dimly lit room. 

In these senses, Tolkien was both the first author to challenge me as a reader, and who made me rethink the concept of writing for your target audience (as The Hobbit was indeed written as a bedtime story for children). As a writer, this translated into learning how to dive into the perspective of the world you create, while still remaining true to your audience. 

What do you think the current innovations in your genre(s) are?

I am a writer of Young-Adult Fantasy in magical realism. I believe one of the great innovations of today is merging the world of magic and mischief with the contemporary. Many teenagers can hardly imagine a world without phones, computers, and cars. And so, to transport them more fluidly into a fictional setting, or even a non-fictional setting with magical aspects or rules, is both a challenge and a great gift. We get to discover how to demonstrate a world that seems impossible in their eyes, and learn how to make it both understandable and relatable. 

What is something in your genre(s) you'd like to see more of?

I would love to see more of the extraordinary. I've always loved that word when broken down: extra-ordinary. I want to get lost in new and unique worlds, learn about new and unheard-of species of beasts, discover new realms that are nothing like what we've already read about, be amazed by new magic that we're not used to seeing. 

I personally have so many ideas of my own to touch on this in the future, but I feel as if many of the fantasy tales of today are recycled - which is okay! In fact, I absolutely love retellings, and I've always agreed with the saying 'don't fix what ain't broke'. And while I will never tire of trolls, dwarves, elves, witches, Fae, elemental powers, vampires, werewolves, etc... The list goes on. These are all elements I love. 

But I want to discover something new. Because that's the joy of fantasy. There is no limit to the imagination. 

What is something in your genre(s) you'd like to see less of?

Far too many fantasies portrait the women in the book as a damsel in distress. Even in a heroine position, their only true strength is often in relation to the 'helpless chosen one'. As one example, this can look like their blood being the key to gain the treasure or defeat the enemy, but their skills being inadequate to ever advance on their own, or even begin to fight back if faced with trouble. 

A girl that is needed, but completely dependent and in need of protecting. 

I want to see less damsels in distress and more women that don't need rescuing, and who are their own saviours. While yes, learning how to depend on others because the fate of the world should never fall on any one person's shoulders and our youth need to see that it's okay to lean on others. But that isn't to say that the girls are helpless on their own.

Is there anything else related I didn't ask a question about that you'd like to add?

I think you covered it 🙂

Where online can our readers find you and your work?

Readers can find me at www.jessievallee.ca, or at @jvalleeauthor on all social medias.

Jessie, thank you so much for joining us today and sharing your thoughtful answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment