Thursday, July 6, 2023

Author Interview - Austin Valenzuela

Hello and welcome to our latest author interview with Sci-Fi & Fantasy author, Austin Valenzuela!

Please tell us a little bit about yourself and your writing.

My name is Austin Valenzuela and I write science-fiction and fantasy stories. I first started my creative writing journey after reading Stephen King’s Dark Tower series and diving into psychological interpretations of my favorite childhood stories like Pinocchio and the Lion King.

I work as a content developer in my day job while attending online classes at Grand Canyon University, where I’m earning my master’s degree in clinical mental health counseling.

Who would you say your biggest literary influences are?

Stephen King was one of the first authors that inspired me to sit down and start writing. I’ve always enjoyed his stories, as well as the short introductions and explanations for his stories that he includes, referring to his fans as “constant readers.” 

I also like the classics—Russian authors like Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky, who are perhaps the best to ever do it when it comes to representing philosophical stances and ideologies in their stories through the opinions and behavior of their characters. I see fantasy stories as a way to explore those themes in our current day and age, along with science-fiction stories—see the work of Ted Chiang.

How has the history of the middle ages impacted/influenced your work?

I feel as if aspects of the middle ages have become a language of the fantasy genre. Taverns have a certain look in readers imaginations that almost doesn’t need to be described, and when certain books are picked up, there are expectations of tropes directly inspired by the middle ages, from the look of the swords to seiges upon castles and particular representations of faery creatures. People think of the middle ages as overdone in fantasy, but there is a distinct difference between overdone and a lack of originality.

Do you feel like your writing has been impacted/influenced by Tolkien? If so, in what way(s)?

My writing has been impacted by Tolkien consciously and unconsciously. I grew up playing the Lord of the Rings video games, steeped in nerd culture, and I can see those influences in my storytelling, especially in first drafts. I am always learning from Tolkien’s lush imagination and precision with prose.

What do you think the current innovations in your genre(s) are?

To expand on the idea of originality, there is much to be explored in the realm of various folklore that differs from the typical Norse/Scottish myths that are often incorporated into fantasy. I believe that Chinese, South American, Korean, and other myths and folktales provide rich storytelling roots that can be given a voice in the fantasy and science-fiction genres. One might revive old and used myths by re-telling them in a framework that portrays the current struggles of our day.

What is something in your genre(s) you'd like to see more of?

I’d love to see more fantasy inspired by different cultures like those mentioned above. There is an endless amount of meaning behind an old fable. A great storyteller can dig up that meaning and make it shiny again.

What is something in your genre(s) you'd like to see less of?

I’d definitely like to see less of the carbon-copy faery stories. If artificial intelligence isn’t capable of creating one of those mass printed stories already, it will be soon. Charles Bukowski’s poem, So You Want to be a Writer?, said it best, in that you shouldn’t necessarily write something if it doesn’t burst forth out of your soul, desperate to be told. 

Is there anything else related I didn't ask a question about that you'd like to add?

My personal stories are influenced by Mesopotamian myths, Christianity, and Latin culture. I grew up with a father who spoke Spanish as his first language and a grandmother who lived all around the world, and their stories greatly influenced my young and impressionable mind. 

Where online can our readers find you and your work?

Readers can follow me on TikTok: @valenzuela.au and Instagram: @valenzuela.austin for updates on my latest work and funny book-related memes. You can also visit the following link to purchase my debut fantasy novel, Dragonspeak: Isaac’s Blessing. 
https://www.amazon.com/Dragonspeak-Isaacs-Blessing-Austin-Valenzuela-ebook/dp/B09JW3TC87/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr= 

Austin, thank you so much for the interview and sharing your thoughtful answers with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment