Friday, January 19, 2024

Author Interview - Jayne Castel

Hello and welcome to our latest author interview with historical romance and fantasy author Jayne Castel!

Please tell us a little bit about yourself and your writing.

I’ve always written! For years I started lots of stories but always gave up at the midpoint. I finally finished my first novel in 2012 … a Historical Romance set in 7th Century Anglo-Saxon England (DARK UNDER THE COVER OF NIGHT), discovered self-publishing, and never looked back! For a while writing was a hobby that paid, and then it was a part-time income. And then, in 2019, my first Medieval Romance series took off (THE BRIDES OF SKYE), and I’ve been a full-time author since then. 😊

Your favorite thing you've written or published?

This is such a hard question as each work-in-progress is my favorite work! However, that said, I do have a few books that stole my heart. MAXIMUS (Book One: The Immortal Highland Centurions) and TAMING THE EAGLE (Book One of the Empire’s Edge Duology) are among them. MAXIMUS has a touch of fantasy blended into Historical Romance (it’s about immortals, after all!), and TAMING THE EAGLE is a sweeping romance between a Roman general and a Pict warrior woman set in 2nd Century Caledonia.

Who would you say your biggest literary influences are?

I love the classics! Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Elizabeth Gaskell, Somerset Maugham, and, of course, J.R.R Tolkien are all favorites. More modern influences are Diana Gabaldon, Bernard Cornwell, Juliet Marillier, and Sarah J. Maas. I enjoy reading authors who blend history and fantasy!

Do you feel like your writing has been impacted/influenced by Tolkien? If so, in what way(s)?

Of course! I love his world-building and try to inject as much of the same richness in my own. I also loved the way he created such an epic feel while also giving his work intimacy. The friendship between Frodo and Sam is iconic.

How has the history of the middle ages impacted/influenced your work?

I like to tie my books as closely to history as I can, and so all my work – from my Dark Ages novels to those set in the 15th Century Scotland – hinge on actual historical events. I’ve also incorporated a lot of real historical figures in my books … and occasionally they’ve been the main characters!

What do you think the current innovations in your genre(s) are?

Historical Romance, especially Scottish Highlander Romance tends to remain fairly ‘traditional’. There are the tried-and-true characters and tropes that readers love, and just can’t get enough of. Books about brave warriors, noble lairds, and feisty Scottish lasses set against the stunning backdrop of Medieval Scotland have a lasting appeal. That said, I find readers are increasingly wanting to see more of the male viewpoint in stories (although they prefer third person POV). Fast-moving, character-driven books that are perhaps a little shorter than the traditional 80,000 words for Historical Romance are showing up more these days too.

What is something in your genre(s) you'd like to see more of?

I’d like to see more fantasy blended with history – Historical Fantasy is a favorite genre of mine, and it goes so well with romance. Why isn’t Historical Fantasy Romance an actual genre? I’m not talking time-travel romance here (although that’s fun), but Celtic inspired romantic fantasy or alternate history. Bring it on!

What is something in your genre(s) you'd like to see less of?

The ‘Disney’ approach to history where characters go around saying mayhap or ‘twas, and cliches abound. I’d like to see a little bit more authenticity and grit in Scottish Historical Romance, which pays Scottish history and culture the respect it deserves.

What are your favorite themes to work with or write?

So many! I love stories about homecoming, redemption, fresh starts, challenging fate, and overcoming impossible odds … I could go on! In many ways tropes are what drive romance (and twisting them and layering them to create an original story is essential), but a strong theme is what really makes a story sing.

Where online can our readers find you and your work?

www.jaynecastel.com

Here are all the other places you can find me:

Connect on Facebook.

Follow on Instagram.

Follow me on TikTok

Follow me on Pinterest

Visit my YouTube channel

Visit my Amazon Author page

Visit my Goodreads page

Follow me on BookBub

Jayne, thank you so much for the interview and sharing your fun and insightful answers with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment